Basement flooding can happen as a result of heavy rain, melting snow or a faulty pipe. However, there are steps you can take inside and outside of your home to prevent flooding from occurring. By taking the necessary steps to protect your home against flooding, you are potentially saving yourself thousands of dollars in repairs.
Inside Your Home
- Make sure you understand how your foundation drainage system works. If you need help with this you can contact a plumber to assist you.
- Be conscious of what you are putting down your drains. Things like cooking fat and toxic chemicals should be disposed of accordingly, not down your pipes.
- Don’t ignore plumbing problems because they will only get worse. If you notice you have a plumbing issue call a plumber to fix it as soon as possible.
- Seal cracks in floors, windows or walls. Be conscious of the places that water could be entering your home and could eventually cause damage.
Outside Your Home
- Fix foundation cracks on the exterior of your home to prevent water from getting inside your home.
- Ensure that the ground slopes away from the house. You don’t want the water running toward your home, especially during a heavy downpour.
- Clear debris from eavestroughs to prevent rainwater from pouring over.
- If your basement is prone to flooding or you are at risk of flooding, you should install a sump pump. The sump pump will help collect water and pump it out of your house.
- Install a backwater valve to help prevent the main sewer line from backing up in your basement. Water Guard Plumbing is able to assist you with this.
- Direct your downspouts away from your home and towards a place with good drainage.
The City of Toronto offers a Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program to assist you in protecting your home against flooding.
Hire Best Waterproofing & Flood Prevention Contractors in Toronto
If you need any further guidance on how to protect your home against flooding, feel free to contact us online or give us a call at 647-832-1738.