You discover that your basement has flooded. What do you do next?
At Water Guard Plumbing, we have seen our fair share of flooded basements. Basement flooding can happen at the worst times and usually happens as a result of mother nature, bad piping our just general bad luck.
If you are one of the unlucky ones who encounters a flooded basement here is what you should do:
1. Call a Plumber
It’s important to always have the contact information of a good plumber close by. Preparing for situations like this before it occurs will be beneficial in the long run. It’s a good idea to keep the number of a plumber on your fridge for easy access. Great plumbers will make themselves available to you 24 hours in order to service your plumbing emergency.
If you find yourself facing a flooding emergency contact us 647-832-1738, we are available 24 hours a day and would love to help.
2. Call Your Insurance Company
Call your insurance company to let them know about the flood. Make sure to take photos to document the damage so that it can later be passed along to the insurance company. You should also keep track of all receipts you acquire from your plumber or others you may have hired.
3. Be Safe
Before you rush to save valuable items, make sure you are aware of the environment around you. If there are electronics plugged in you could be putting yourself in danger. Stagnant water can be harmful to humans and animals, it’s important to keep your pets and children away from the flooding. If you find that you have to venture into the water, make sure to wear protective clothing and footwear.
4. Protect Yourself Against Future Flooding
Basement flooding can happen as a result of heavy rain, melting snow or a faulty pipe. However, there are steps you can take inside and outside of your home to prevent flooding from occurring. By taking the necessary steps to protect your home against flooding, you are potentially saving yourself thousands of dollars in repairs.
Inside Your Home
- Make sure you understand how your foundation drainage system works. If you need help with this you can contact a plumber to assist you.
- Be conscious of what you are putting down your drains. Things like cooking fat and toxic chemicals should be disposed of accordingly, not down your pipes.
- Don’t ignore plumbing problems because they will only get worse. If you notice you have a plumbing issue call a plumber to fix it as soon as possible.
- Seal cracks in floors, windows or walls. Be conscious of the places that water could be entering your home and could eventually cause damage.
Outside Your Home
- Fix foundation cracks on the exterior of your home to prevent water from getting inside your home.
- Ensure that the ground slopes away from the house. You don’t want the water running toward your home, especially during a heavy downpour.
- Clear debris from eavestroughs to prevent rainwater from pouring over.
- If your basement is prone to flooding or you are at risk of flooding, you should install a sump pump. The sump pump will help collect water and pump it out of your house.
- Install a backwater valve to help prevent the main sewer line from backing up in your basement. Water Guard Plumbing is able to assist you with this.
- Direct your downspouts away from your home and towards a place with good drainage.
Hire Best Waterproofing & Flood Prevention Contractors in Toronto
Did you know that there are a number of subsidy programs available to you? Each city is different, but the City of Toronto offers a Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program to protect your home against flooding. Make sure you do your research and use these programs to your advantage. Alternatively, contact Water Guard Plumbing to do the research and submit the rebate application for you! If you need any further guidance on how to protect your home against flooding, feel free to give us a call at 647-832-1738.