What is the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program?
Basement flooding can happen when you least expect it, which is why it is important to be proactive and make sure you are prepared by protecting your basement against flooding. The City of Toronto introduced a Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program to help home owners reduce the risk of flooding in their home.
To assist with the cost of protecting your basement, the City offers a financial subsidy of $3,400 per property to install a backwater valve, sump pump and pipe severance and capping of the home’s storm sewer or external weeping tile connection.
The only individuals eligible to complete this type of work are plumbers licensed by the City of Toronto. Water Guard Plumbing would love to assist you with protecting your basement against flooding. Our license number is T94-431-4259. You can look us up on the Municipal Licensing & Standards (MLS) website.
Are you Eligible?
According to the City of Toronto website, you must meet the following requirements in order to qualify for the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program.
- The property must be registered as a single-family residential, duplex or triplex property within the City of Toronto.
- The subsidy is only available to existing homes that were constructed prior to January 1, 2009.
- The downspouts from your property’s eaves trough must be disconnected from the sewer system.
- For properties with a parking pad instead of a driveway, all front yard paved areas must comply with the City’s Zoning By-law requirements.
- You must submit your application within one year of completion of work as indicated on your invoice.
- A permit must be obtained and inspection passed by a City of Toronto building inspector for a backwater valve.
- Your contractor must possess a valid City of Toronto business license.
- Original invoices must be provided.
It must also be noted that not everyone applies will receive the subsidy. The funding is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy is provided once per property.
How to Apply
You can visit the City of Toronto website to apply for the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy program, or fill out the application form.
Once you have applied for the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program give us a call at 647-832-1738 or send us an email at email@example.com. We look forward to working with you!